[lbo-talk] Finkestein hangs Marty P out to dry

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Oct 18 11:44:22 PDT 2006

On Oct 18, 2006, at 2:25 PM, Michael Pugliese quoted:

> Novick's book is a serious and scholarly attempt to answer these
> questions, resting on years of research and reflection, in sharp
> contrast to Finkelstein's hastily-written pamphlet which from internal
> evidence seems to have been cobbled together between January and April
> the London Review of Books (6 January 2000) – rather than out of some
> longstanding interest in the phenomenon.

Jesus Fucking Christ, Norman's parents were in concentration camps; his interest in the topic dates practically from his birth.

I've known Norman for years, and like and respect him a lot. So drivel like this is really offensive:

> The judgement of
> Finkelstein made by the Zionist intellectual Leon Wieselter, and
> reported by Finkelstein himself on page 66 – 'You don't know who
> Finkelstein is. He's poison, he's a disgusting self-hating Jew, he's
> something you find under a rock!' – became a lot easier to understand
> by the time I finished the book!

Wieseltier, who practically creamed in his pants when he got Henry Kissinger to blurb his first book, who works for a magazine that's practically a propaganda organ for the Israeli government. Yuck. It's really hard to take seriously anyone who uses the phrase "self-hating Jew."

Doug