[lbo-talk] Unbanked (was dd on microcredit)

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 15:48:10 PDT 2006

The answer is that the banks offer "no-fee" accounts because they are confident they will make it back and more in high overdraft fees. People who find the wolf at the door each week or month inevitably cut it too close and get nailed. That's part of the model.

Cash is just easier to manage and probably less costly.

In terms of the government's becoming a bank, the largest pool of deposits I know about is in Japan's postal banks and that's pretty safe. Moreover, the quasi-governmental mortgage guarantee institutions are the backbone of the securities market that sells more bonds that US treasuries - the US mortgage-backed securities market.

The entire credit system of the U.S. (and the world) relies on the full faith and credit of nations which are in perpetual debt. Government debt has been the backbone of modern banking since before the Bank of England came into being. The government already is the lender of last resort and the debtor of first resort. What's wrong with that?

boddi