[lbo-talk] Dispiniting suburbs?

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Oct 18 17:58:47 PDT 2006

Charles A. Grimes wrote:

>In constrast the linear spawl along California highways is not linked
>to any natural system that provides for its own sustainability. They
>literally are in the middle of nowhere for no reason other than the
>abstract economic rationale of greater profit. As a consequence these
>communities take ever larger and larger shares of technology and
>natural resources to keep them alive.

Yes, I'm doomed to do the SF to Tahoe drive twice a year now, because

my daughter has to go up to Tahoe to dance (ballet), and it is a very dismal drive. For one thing, there is NO PLACE TO EAT that is not a chain.

These second derivative deployments are rather sinister. They pretend to be "country," but they have absolutely nothing to do with the country -- there are no farms, or orchards, or livestock...nothing, nada, niente. They are actually dependent on the cities, which they despise. But, without the cities, they're up shit creek because they have no economy to sustain them.

Joanna