[lbo-talk] White Leftists, Go Suburban!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Oct 18 19:29:37 PDT 2006

Carl Remick wrote:

> >From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
> >
> >Out of the 10s of thousands of lines Carl Sandburg wrote, there is one
> >passage that deserves immortality. I can't remember it exactly now, but
> >it speaks of how the golf links lie so close to the mill that the
> >children at work can see the men at play.
>
> Well, I guess it's history's dustbin for Carl S. and his oeuvre. "The Golf
> Links" was written by Sarah Norcliffe Cleghorn:

I'll be damned. For 30 or 40 years I've off & on thought of looking up the lines, which I think I read back in the mid-40s. And all that time I've associated them with Sandburg.

More evidence (see Stephen Gould on this sort of thing) of the great undependability of even the most vivid memories. I wonder how many times over the years I would pull something out of memory and pass it on to students when the memory was in fact this bad!

Carrol