[lbo-talk] Unbanked (was dd on microcredit)

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Oct 18 21:37:45 PDT 2006

>> So, which is it:
>>
>> a) "the poor don't have access to banking services"
>> b) "cash is easier for the poor to manage"
>
> False choice - the poor don't have banking services with
> fees they can afford, once overdraft fees are considered,
> therefore they pick cash.

Why do you hate poor people?

> Perhaps you think people who get into credit trouble are
> somehow unworthy of consideration, but since there are so
> many, I think your attitude is silly.

Plenty of non-poor people get into this situation as well. But: every single "poor" person I know who refuses to use a free checking account is, as far as I can tell, just fine in terms of financial responsibility. It's just that they pay Safeway (or the USPS!) for money orders to pay their rent or PG&E bill, and pay Checks-R-Us to cash their paycheck. They are in no danger of being "tricked" into paying overdraft fees, or whatever it is you think is lying in wait for their irresponsible, dumbass selves. I'm, as they say, bumfuzzled by it.

I don't think you have any idea what my 'attitude' is.

/jordan