[lbo-talk] Re: The Conspiracy Industry

Tim tim_boetie at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 18 21:39:23 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 16:08 -0400, Michael Givel wrote:
> issue. 36% of Americans also believe this hooey and the Internet is
> alive with so-called "9/'11 Truth" advocates--one of whom is running

It occurs to me that if 36% of Americans do indeed believe in some kind of 9/11 cover-up, this actually suggests that the 9/11 truth movement is politically useless. At least, all the 9/11 "researchers" I've had any contact with are more or less uninterested in building movements and raising political demands, instead suggesting that, "the anger and activism will take care of themselves once awareness of the true degree of foreknowledge and complicity becomes very widely known." But it is already "known," apparently, to 36% of Americans, with no political impact to speak of.

I suspect, in fact, that most Americans (or people in any other country) would respond to proof of government involvement in 9/11 the same way they respond to other corruption scandals: with a shrug and a sigh of "well, what can you do?" The important thing is answering that "what can you do" question, not on coming up with the conclusive evidence that will persuade everyone that Bush really did it.

The Simpsons on, inter alia, 9/11 conspiracy theorists:

Homer: America, take a good look at your beloved candidates. They're nothing but hideous space reptiles. [unmasks them] [audience gasps in terror] Kodos: It's true, we are aliens. But what are you going to do about it? It's a two-party system; you have to vote for one of us. [murmurs] Man1: He's right, this is a two-party system.

--

"Boredom is the threshold to great deeds."

-- Walter Benjamin