[lbo-talk] Dispiriting Suburbs?

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Wed Oct 18 22:30:06 PDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 10:00:35PM -0700, joanna wrote:

> Jesse Lemisch wrote:
>
> >But much of this
> >discussion seems to be proceeding on the assumption that people who choose
> >to live in suburbs are misguided and beneath contempt. I'm sure that some
> >on
> >this list must understand the virtues of suburban living.
> >

> What are they? I've lived in the suburbs and all I remember is the
> greatest vacuity I've ever experienced: no social spaces, other than the
> mall and church; unusable public transport; and extremely
> unfriendly/suspicious people.

Fine, I'll bite.

I live in the suburbs. I'm at the edge of a suburban borough that has a University (Millersville in PA). The ground was originally part of the township surrounding the city but a 5-10 minute drive from the city limits (city == Lancaster).

I have no idea about these hellish suburbs people who live in metros love to condemn, but where I live everyone knows everyone because they introduce themselves when they move in. My 84 year old neighbor and I share a beer when we've both done a bit of yard work and need a break, and he tells me stories of what is was like here in the 60s when the houses were built. Another neighbor snowblows driveways around him just to be nice and refuses money for gas, so we sneak gas cans in his garage when he isn't looking.

We have yardsales* and carnivals within walking distances. The college is within walking distance and has all the things a small college borough has. The city is a 5 minute drive or a 20 minute bike ride. The nearest strip mall (and movie theater) is in the city limits.

I don't lock my doors when I'm gone for a short amount of time and I and my neighbors think nothing of leaving tools and stuff in our yards with our front doors unlocked and taking a break and walking to the coffee shop for an iced latte.

Now, when I was a teenager (I'm 33) we moved from *real* rural PA to a newer suburban development and there wasn't the same feeling of community I have now - but part of that is being 15 and my concerns being grass, ass, and whatever...

I admit it, I like it here. I love NYC and San Fran (just had a great week) but I can travel a lot and am still practically in Philly/NYC/Balt-Wash's backyard so maybe I'm spoiled. But I like having a little yard where my dog can run around and where the neighbor kids can run in and play fetch with him. I like having a place to hose off my tent after a weekend camping and its nice to have room for out of town guests who can't afford a hotel. When neighbors have outdoor parties everyone is de facto invited (hey, we are parking in front of each others houses).

Upon proof reading that REALLY sounds like a cheezy brochure and that wasn't my intent, but when I read about how awful the suburbs are per Joanna above I think WTF???? I don't doubt it sucks in some places but the 'why oh why do those provincial fools want to live there' is just silly; I can't imagine Quaker Hills in Lancaster County is the only place full of lots of socialization, secular community spaces, and friendly people. Although if it is bring the RE bubble... :-/

For Halloween trick or treating I end up spending about $75 on candy, the kids just don't stop coming. Some inner city groups run buses out here for the evening. Funny, with suburbia being hell on earth and what not.

Matt

*Does anyone buy anything? There is a lot of swapping and mostly just

walking around talking but the Amish ladies are there promptly at 8AM

to buy any canning supplies they can find....

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588 http://blogdayafternoon.com yahoo msg: beyondzero123

You could be cursed with the three terrible karmas. You could be beautiful, rich, and famous.

-Tyler Durden