[lbo-talk] Dispiriting Suburbs?

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 19 01:53:25 PDT 2006

Matt, sounds like a good setting for a David Lynch flick.

-B.

Matt wrote:

"I live in the suburbs. I'm at the edge of a suburban borough that has a University (Millersville in PA). The ground was originally part of the township surrounding the city but a 5-10 minute drive from the city limits (city == Lancaster).

I have no idea about these hellish suburbs people who live in metros love to condemn, but where I live everyone knows everyone because they introduce themselves when they move in. My 84 year old neighbor and I share a beer when we've both done a bit of yard work and need a break, and he tells me stories of what is was like here in the 60s when the houses were built. Another neighbor snowblows driveways around him just to be nice and refuses money for gas, so we sneak gas cans in his garage when he isn't looking. We have yardsales* and carnivals within walking distances. The college is within walking distance and has all the things a small college borough has. The city is a 5 minute drive or a 20 minute bike ride. The nearest strip mall (and movie theater) is in the city limits."