[lbo-talk] Dispiriting Suburbs?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 19 06:11:39 PDT 2006

>From: "Jesse Lemisch" <utopia1 at attglobal.net>
>>
>I've lived in cities (NYC, Chicago, New Haven, etc.) and suburbs (Bayside
>when it was a suburb, Amherst NY) and much prefer NYC.

I think NYC sucks too. I used to be a daily commuter into Manhattan from Long Island but now come in only occasionally for onsite freelance work. I've been in the city this week, for example, and, for the first time in many years, took the subway to work (because of a broken toe) instead of walking from Penn Sta. to Rockefeller Center. I was amazed to find the subway -- despite its vaunted comeback -- stinks (literally) worse than ever. It looks like every dime of capital investment the NYCTA has put into its operation has been invested in the (fitfully reliable) electronic fare collection system. The stations and rolling stock are as crappy as ever.

Let's face it: The suburbs are great .... if you have lots of money! Cities are great ... if you have lots of money! For most people, city or suburban dwellers, the general quality of life has been declining steadily for decades.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Try the next generation of search with Windows Live Search today! http://imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/searchlaunch/?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline