[lbo-talk] Cramped apartments

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 19 13:20:07 PDT 2006

That Arkansas school shooting was in a suburban area, not a rural area. Jonesboro is one of the suburbs of nowhere. This one is mostly populated by whites fleeing Memphis which is less than an hours drive away. The states 3rd largest hospital and the states 3rd largest university are both in Jonesboro. It is part bedroom community, part exurb.

I don't agree with Joanna "every singel school shooting has taken place in a suburban school" but I do agree that a disproportunate number of school shootings since 1980 have taken place in the suburbs. I'm sure a resourceful guy like yourself can give us more information than I have. I do know that more suburban and rural students possess firearms, and not just hunting weapons but handguns and automatic weapons as well than do students in urban areas. I seem to recall that school shootings, while extremely rare, occur on a per student basis in the West and South more often in rural areas while in the East and Midwest in surban areas. You can always find examples of urban shootings but I believe they have been the exception in the last 25 years. Most school shooters are suburban white males.

John Thornton

On 19 Oct 2006 at 10:55, Michael Pugliese wrote:

> On 10/19/06, joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:I believe that
> every single school shooting has taken place in a suburban school.

Um no.

http://www.google.com/search?q=school+shootings+locations

Remember the rural Arkansas shooting by the young boy who had been

bullied, for example?

Tons of shootings occur in urban school as well. When I was a

substitute teacher in Oakland, Ca. Public Schools from '85-'90,

between 2nd and 3rd period at Oakland High School (the school near

the College Ave. area near the Berkeley border) a kid was shot to death

in the halls.

The yr. before a third grader in East Oakland shot to death a

schoolmate during, "show and tell."

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/1004/p01s01-usgn.html?s=t5

One of four fatal school shootings to beset rural America in just over

a month, the rampage that killed five young girls raises anew a host

of old concerns - about campus security in countryside settings,

access to guns by unstable individuals, and "copycat" violence

advanced by media attention.