[lbo-talk] EU (via UN) Yanks Israel's Chain

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Thu Oct 19 22:01:48 PDT 2006

I heard rumors on the Web that the new UNIFIL mission in Lebanon was finally showing some teeth, and sure enough, here's the story:

"Israeli breaches of Lebanese airspace remains “our major concern” [said Maj.-Gen. Pellegrini] and they represent a clear violation of the resolution. Although UNIFIL has been dealing with these violations diplomatically, he said the Mission might later use force. “If diplomatic means should not be enough, maybe we can consider other ways.”

Full article: http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=20320&Cr=leban&Cr1=

Amazing. The EU is just too slick. There's an inside story here: Russia has quietly reequipped its naval base in Syria with some devilishly effective anti-air weapons, and also sold some anti-air systems to Syria (not enough to cause trouble, but enough to deter any future mad Israeli bombing sprees). This may be the beginning of the end for Israeli settler colonialism.

-- DRR