[lbo-talk] Beautiful singers....

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Oct 20 09:46:27 PDT 2006

Joanna:

Don't know what to make of this, but the greatest popular singers of the 20 century (of the countries I know), were also extremely beautiful...

[WS:] Is not it the other way around, they are popular because they are good looking? Many people can perform at a decent level, but only a few achieve a celebrity status. That status is perhaps 10% ability and 90% marketing and in the latter look and sex appeal are the main things that matter.

I think this is true how most institutions operate anyway. There are many talented people, but only few make it to the top. Those who do owe it mainly to the combination of luck, appearances and inside connections - but that is ex post facto rationalized as "exceptional ability." Bollocks!

Wojtek