[lbo-talk] 'Delhi can`t do without a metro`

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 12:11:57 PDT 2006

On 10/20/06, Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:

> Your losses in 2004-05 were Rs 76 crore.
>

> [WS:] While we are at this, why do Indians measure things in lakhs and
> crores instead of thousands and millions?
>
> Wojtek

Just as in the Western counting system you cannot have a thousand of any number (thus thousand thousands become a million and thousand millions become a billion and so on), the Indian counting system puts an embargo on a hundred of any number. Thus hundred thousands become a lakh and hundred lakhs (10 million) become a crore. And so on.

Hope this helps.

Sujeet