[lbo-talk] Dispiriting Suburbs?

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Oct 20 12:34:10 PDT 2006

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Doug Henwood quoted:

> "...the quixotic fantasy of activists who craved acceptance from the same
> society they wanted to revolutionize."

I'm a little baffled by your approbation for that sentence.

If democratic change is possible, then by definition, society is going to have to accept our ideas.

Are you denouncing that as a quixotic fantasy and an irrational craving? Because it seems tantamount to denouncing yourself -- and all the rest of us who are joining you on this list. If the truth is that the majority will never accept our ideas, then either you have to believe that subversion by a minority is possible and a good idea -- or accept that left political discussion is silly and pointless. And perhaps retire to become an esthete.

I'm not saying you can't make that case. It just seems at odds with most of the convictions that define you. And me, and the rest of us.

Weirdest of all, it makes you sound a little like Carrol :o)

Michael