[lbo-talk] Finkestein hangs Marty P out to dry

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 20 17:19:08 PDT 2006

--- Eric <rayrena at realtime.net> wrote:

>Chomsky
> gets the little
> things right; it's just on the big picture that he's

> wrong--

I agree about Chomsky, i.e. little things right, big picture wrong.

Finkelstein, that's another issue for me.

Today I went through his part of A Nation on Trial Today, thinking maybe I'm crazy and there is something there that I don't see.

But no, my initial suspicions are correct, nothing but bad faith on his part.

It is correct, imho, to take issue with Goldhagen's thesis. But Goldhagen's facts are not wrong, and I can't even find any passage in Finkelstein where he dares to suggest that. Instead, Finkelstein correctly suggests that Goldhagen's facts don't support his thesis, but rather than scientifically taking issue with that, he is full of invective and scorn.

I find Enzo Traverso's treatment of Goldhagen much better, in Understanding the Nazi Genocide.

consistently, incredibly, stubbornly wrong