[lbo-talk] Beautiful singers....

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Oct 20 17:33:54 PDT 2006

She was called the Romanian Edit Piaf and she deserved the title. She could sing from the standpoint of a male persona as well as female. Not too many singers could do that. The "commies" tried to stifle her for a while because she sang "backward" folk songs, but then they let up and she took off. She was immensly popular.

Here are some of my favorites:

Frica M-ie Ca Mor Ca Miine (I'm afraid I'm going to die) -- lament Miine toti recruti pleaca (Tomorrow all the recruits are leaving) -- a mother's prayer for her departing son Cine iubeste si lasa (Who loves and leaves.....) -- A series of maledictions on those who love and leave...

I'd be more than happy to translate. The songs are hard to translate because they are a beautiful tapestry of curses, sayings, proverbs, and laments....interwoven with a narrative. They are as simple and deep as the greatest Greek lyrics and completely shook up my understanding of the phrase "classic."

I just found out that she was born on my son's birthday (not the year of course) and I'm totally jazzed.

Joanna