[lbo-talk] Feminism and the False Memory Syndrome

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Oct 20 17:49:48 PDT 2006

Having faith or not having faith....Yoshie, how can this be about "faith"?

I have personally known three people that were sexually used by their parents as children.

Two were boys, the sex started around the age of 9 and there was no issue of "recovered" memory; everything was consciously experienced and rememberd. One of these boys grew up to be just fine; the other was, I would say, pretty much undone psychologically and sexually.

One was a girl who was raped at the age of 5 by her father. This did come up as a recovered memory, but we know it was true, because her father admitted to it.

All three men were respected, professionals -- an architect, a doctor, an artist -- none suffered one moment of punishment or censure for what they did and in one instance, it may be the case that no punishment was deserved.

Back to "faith" -- most children (I'm trying hard not to say all children) idealize their parents and are far more likely to protect them and to excuse any kind of behavior than to seek revenge through false accusations. The hardest part of abuse is the part where the child internalizes the interests of the abuser to the point where they start to see themselves as deserving abuse...of whatever sort. This is much more the psyhcological tendency than one of blaming/accusing.

My sister works with abused kids. I hear a lot about this.

Joanna