[lbo-talk] False accusations

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Oct 21 02:08:42 PDT 2006

Joanna writes

"One of the reasons why it's so difficult for women to protect themselves from rape is because 99% of the time, it is their word against their accuser."

That is certainly one of life's cruelties. But to take the step from acknowledging that to suspending the dictum innocent until proved guilty is wrong. False accusations are made - Nadine Milroy-Sloan was jailed for her brazenly false allegations against Neil Hamilton, another man here was jailed for three years until his accuser was revealed to have made similar accusations against many men. What chance would the Scottsboro boys have stood if we suspended our doubts against false accusations?

"Back to "faith" -- most children (I'm trying hard not to say all children) idealize their parents and are far more likely to protect them and to excuse any kind of behavior than to seek revenge through false accusations."

Yes, except that most false accusations are laid later in life, when the accuser, under therapy, is persuaded that her present-day problems are the result of her parents' abuse. Often these accusations are accompanied with the demand that the guilt parent pay for the continuing course of therapy, as advised by the therapist. Recovered memory is a racket. (cf. Mark Prendergrast, Victims of Memory, Harper Collins, 1996)

ps I remember George Thompson's Aeschylus and Athens being good on Greek fate.