[lbo-talk] Feminism and the False Memory Syndrome

Jesse Lemisch utopia1 at attglobal.net
Sat Oct 21 10:37:48 PDT 2006

This is all quite preposterous, and takes place in a social vacuum. Rape/sexual molestation/harassment remain among the most under-reported crimes. With people like these in charge of things, reporting such crimes brings shame, embarrassment, humiliation. Some of these postings argue from a vantage point that would be at home with Pakistani law on rape: the woman's testimony is unacceptable, without witnesses.

In addition there is utter incromprehension, indeed a knd of a a frenzy of confusion of legal standards with historical standards. Aside from the skewing of the legal system against the female complainant, speaking as historian I want to assure you that historians come to reasonable conclusions about causality etc. with less than perfect information. The standards being invoked here would eliminate historical judgement about just about everthing.

This stuff is nohthing more than a tarted up defense of bigotry, very archaic.

Jesse Lemisch

----- Original Message ----- From: "Miles Jackson" <cqmv at pdx.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2006 1:13 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Feminism and the False Memory Syndrome