[lbo-talk] False accusation

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Oct 21 13:15:32 PDT 2006

>From today's Guardian newspaper, the story of May Willsher, now 24, seeking
redress from social services for having been taken from her family in the early 90s:

"She got very angry. She would want me to agree with what she was saying." Which was? "They were mentioning about private parts, things like that. Asking me, did one of the grown-ups touch you and touch your brothers and sisters in your private parts? They would want me to agree with it.' She is Social Worker Liz McLean, who eventually took ten children from their families.

The Guardian explains:

'in almost every case, in the end, the accounts of ritual abuse would come to be disbelieved. After the "satanic panic", attributed to a culture of over-imagination among social workers, came the apparently rational backlash and a number of inquiries into what were accepted to have been injustices against innocent families. The other Orkney children were returned after five weeks to their families, who would later accept an out of court settlement. The Willshers, meanwhile, remained in their foster homes.'

The story continues http://society.guardian.co.uk/children/comment/0,,1927995,00.html