[lbo-talk] False accusations

Jesse Lemisch utopia1 at attglobal.net
Sat Oct 21 14:24:00 PDT 2006

My goodness, this is just awful. James quotes the notiorious amti-feminist tract by Cornel West and Sylvia Ann Hewlett whose aim was to change state laws to force a waiting/counseling period before divorce, to preserve the family, etc. It's simply astonishing that somebody should be arguing on feminist issues utterly uninformed by feminist views and the critiques of this sad volume which I read when Barnes and Noble 82nd St. still had comfortable chairs. (Yes, in this sense Cornel West is indeed a social conservative, as is his pal Michael Lerner of Tikkun -- veteran of a notorious rape case in Seattle --: see my "Sociat Conservatism on the Left: The Abandonment of Radicalism and the Collapse of the Jewish Left into Faith and Family, Tikkun 1989. Lerner went crazy when he saw this and published a severely cut version as a letter to the editor. I will try to locate a better citation.)

James proceeds to revive the hideous old myth that punishing sexual abusers is an attack on working class families. Wow, this really belongs in MR. How about it, Yoshie? Soon we'll be hearing, as we haven't in some years, that we ought to sympathize with working class males who return from alienated work and understandably beat their waves. Yes, indeed, let's save the family, undermine divorce, and keep legal authorities out of the "private" sphere.

Jesse Lemisch

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Heartfield" <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2006 3:38 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] False accusations