[lbo-talk] Tony Blair - Brits out of Iraq in 16 months - or less

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 21 21:06:53 PDT 2006

Tony Blair: Britain out of Iraq in 16 months - or less

London, Oct. 19 -- Prime Minister Tony Blair during Question Time told Parliament that British troops will be withdrawn from Iraq in about 16 months.

Blair said Wednesday British forces could become "a provocation," The Telegraph reported. But at the same time, he said Britain must stay in the country until "the job is done."

"I don't have the date but I can see over the next 12 to 18 months the Iraqi security forces progressing to a point where they can take on the security responsibilities for the country," Blair said. "That is the policy of ourselves, our allies -- not just America -- but the other 20 or so countries there."

General Sir Richard Dannatt, the Chief of the General Staff, said last week Britain should leave Iraq soon.

Copyright 2006 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20061019-110154-2897r