[lbo-talk] The God Delusion

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 22 12:17:00 PDT 2006

--- Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Chuck Grimes wrote, "...if you have wondered through
> art history, anthropology, philosophy, math, some of
> the hard sciences to some mediocre depth---in other
> words have sought out to grasp as much of human
> creativity and knowledge about the world as you can
> follow---from such a perspective, the stories about
> Jesus just don't cut it."

Vey much so. I grew up in a non-religious family, my parents's main concern was to give me education, so I was exposed to literature, arts and science realtively early in my life. I became interested in religion and philosophy mainly as a form of rebellion against my parents, who wanted me to behave respectably and pursue a career in civil engineering. So to spite my parents instead of enginnering, I decided to study philosophy at a catholic univesity - the only university in Poland at that time that offered a degree in philosophy (after 1968, the government closed philosophy departments in all state schools. I did not particularly care about religion, i just wanted something different from 'petit bourgeois respectability' (id did drugs too).

I did graduate, but that experience cured me from religion quite quickly. Having a glimpse into how this instituion operates inside convinced me about its fundamentally totalitarian nature. I did meet some open minded and thoughful priests, and I enjoyed talking to them, but I also saw how the church destroys those people with vengeance.

In short, I have never been a religious person and I know little about religions per se, but I do have some knowldge of religious doctrines. My brief attraction to this institution was a form of adolescent rebellion. Right now, I see religion as a major force behind right wing mobilization and fascist populaism - so obviously I see it as an enemy, but I also recognize that this institution can play more positive roles - such as providing social cohesion, preservation of cultural heritage, of giving people hope and motivation to do good things in life.

Wojtek