[lbo-talk] Feminism and the False Memory Syndrome

Jesse Lemisch utopia1 at attglobal.net
Sun Oct 22 13:51:13 PDT 2006

Good for Jenny Brown, who, among other things, seems to be one of the few people on this list who have actually read Bettina Aptheker's book.

Jesse Lemisch

----- Original Message ----- From: <JBrown72073 at cs.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2006 2:13 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Feminism and the False Memory Syndrome

> In a message dated 10/21/06 11:27:38 AM, lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org
writes:

> >> Political repression goes out of control when people make a leap from
> > a fact -- e.g., dangers of covert action exist; crimes of terrorism
> > and rape, including of children, exist; and they can be difficult to
> > prosecute -- to total suspension of skepticism, a radical downgrading
> > of legal and scientific norms, and the conclusion that all accusations
> > of heinous crimes, however lacking in evidence, must be believed.
>
> >This bring to mind the recent thread about belief in God. The idea that
> we can "just know things" without evidence, logic, or systematic
> procedures seems to appeal to many people. Let's face it:
> accepting claims based on authority ("God said it, I believe it, that
> settles it") or common sense ("kids would never lie about abuse") is
> much easier than careful and rigorous assessment.
>
> >--I'd go so far as to say that this tendency toward "easy" certainty
> is one of the main sources on misery in the world. I think we'd all
> be a lot better off if everyone were less certain about their most
> deeply held beliefs.
>
> >Miles
>

> But the hidden default here is that men don't do this, women must be
lying.
> So the careful and rigorous assessment is applied to the women's claim but
not
> to the men's, even though there is incredible pressure on women to be
silent
> and on men to lie.
>
> I agree with Jesse that this is all getting very abstract. In order to
say
> that Bettina is having 'false memory syndrome' you'd also have to claim
that
> she's lying that as an adult she spoke to her father about the abuse, and
he
> apologized--was sick with shame, actually, is the feeling you get from her
> account. So it's not just false memory syndrome she'd be being accused
of, it's
> also a wholesale fabrication of her adult interaction with her father
about it.
> (She also said she got therapy after she remembered, not before, so these
> stories about therapists bringing things up are only relevant if we think
Bettina
> is lying about these details and saw a therapist _before_ she recalled the
> abuse.)
>
> I read Bettina to be telling a very difficult thing that she would much
> prefer not to be telling. I find it harder to imagine a motive for
Bettina for