[lbo-talk] China will not break UNSC Resolution 1718

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Mon Oct 23 10:22:07 PDT 2006

People's Daily Online http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/

China

UPDATED: 17:18, October 20, 2006

China will not break UNSC Resolution 1718 http://english.people.com.cn/200610/20/eng20061020_313822.html

UN Security Council Resolution 1718 is balanced and all parties should implement it strictly within the established guidelines, said Liu Jianchao, a spokesman for China's Foreign Affairs Ministry, on October 19.

Liu said UNSC Resolution 1718 has communicated important information to DPRK: that its nuclear test was wrong and that the international community opposes it. The DPRK should return to six-party talks as soon as possible. "Sanctions are not our aim. Our aim is to accelerate the reopening of six-party talks and resolve the DPRK nuclear issue peacefully through dialogue," said Liu.

Each country participating in the six-party talks has their own idea about how to implement Resolution 1718. China thinks all members of the UN should implement Resolution 1718, said Liu, when answering reporters'questions. Liu said China is always cautious about exporting sensitive goods to the DPRK, and will strictly implement the UN Security Council Resolution 1718.

The six-party talks are best way to resolve the DPRK nuclear issue, and all parties involved are willing to participate on certain conditions.

"It is possible to reopen six-party talks," said Liu.

By People's Daily Online

Copyright by People's Daily Online, all rights reserved