[lbo-talk] The God Delusion

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 23 13:05:35 PDT 2006

>From: "Jeffrey Fisher" <jeff.jfisher at gmail.com>
>
>On 10/23/06, Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>... I'm a big believer in the tonic power of ridicule. ...
>
>... you can't expect to bring people around to your side by
>ridiculing them, i don't think. i'd be interested if there is data
>sugesting the contrary. or do you simply, um, "believe in" ridicule? ...

Devoutly! Americans have an abiding (and well-founded) sense of insecurity.

As de Tocqueville noted: "The Americans, in their intercourse with strangers, appear impatient of the smallest censure and insatiable of praise. . . . They unceasingly harass you to extort praise, and if you resist their entreaties they fall to praising themselves. It would seem as if, doubting their own merit, they wished to have it constantly exhibited before their eyes."

I think it's productive to prey on that insecurity. If Plan A -- using ridicule to encourage disbelief -- doesn't work, there's always Plan B -- using ridicule to encourage people of faith to stay the hell away.

So even if ridicule doesn't solve the problem of public piety it can offer symptomatic relief.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Get FREE company branded e-mail accounts and business Web site from Microsoft Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/