[lbo-talk] The God Delusion

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Oct 23 23:23:03 PDT 2006

When my daughter was six, the mother of a classmate of hers died of cancer. My daughter chose to go to the funeral to help her classmate. The catholic priest who officiated at this funeral chose to tell everyone, including the young child, that the mother had died because of man's original sin.

For me, that's the single most horrifying "religious" tale I've ever heard.

But it says absolutely nothing to me about the question of God -- it only tells me about the awfulness of our state: the absence of love, of compassion, of humility, of intelligence. I just don't see how this reflects on the larger issue of how man can comprehend/relate to the infinite--that realm of reality to lies outside of his finite perception and experience.

Joanna