[lbo-talk] Let's Lock Up 14% of All Men Who Have Ever Married! (was Feminism and the False Memory Syndrome)

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 08:34:37 PDT 2006

Yup.

http://www.dianarussell.com/porntoc.html

PORNOGRAPHY AS A CAUSE OF RAPE by Diana E.H. Russell, PhD.

This version of "Pornography As a Cause of Rape" has been excerpted from my book, Against Pornography: The Evidence of Harm (Berkeley, California: Russell Publications, 1994). In addition to the material in this essay, this book includes over a hundred examples of pornographic pictures, each of which is accompanied by my analysis of the sexism and misogyny revealed in the photograph.

Table of Contents

Introduction: What is pornography?

Inconsistencies in definitions

The content of pornography

The circulation of major pornography magazines

Pornography as violence against women

Males' propensity to rape

A theory about the causative role of pornography

The meaning of "cause"

I. The role of pornography in predisposing some males to want to rape

II. The role of pornography in undermining some males' internal inhibitions against acting out the desire to rape

III. The role of pornography in undermining some males' social inhibitions

IV. The role of pornography in undermining potential victims' abilities to avoid or resist rape

Further empirical findings on the causative role of pornography in rape

Conclusion

Endnotes