[lbo-talk] Chomsky on Israel's legitimacy

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Tue Oct 24 10:45:14 PDT 2006

". Others are substantial disagreements about the factual accuracy or fairness of the broad simplifications Chomsky employs, say for example quickly glossing Vietnam's intervention into Cambodia as authentically humanitarian in comparison to the actions of the US and its allies in the post-1945 era."

---I don't see anything unreasonable in Chomsky's position here. What has he glossed over to achieve that position? Compare the Vietnam intervention in Cambodia with, say, the ongoing 2 decade intervention by the US in Iraq. The argument seems on pretty solid footing. It might upset liberals and the right to say such a thing, but is that a good reason to not say such a thing?

Steve (who, in class session, had his students read ANSWER position statements on the war in Iraq while holding hands and spitting on pictures of the troops *and* singing cumbaya my lord before signing petitions by against the mass murder of fish by fisherpeople.)

Stephen Philion Assistant Professor Department of Sociology and Anthropology St. Cloud State University St. Cloud, MN

http://stephenphilion.efoliomn2.com/