[lbo-talk] Chomsky on Israel's legitimacy

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 24 14:07:23 PDT 2006

Eric,

I really rather like Chomsky's counterposing the legalistic term "rights" against the fuzzy moral category "legitimacy".

I don't quite follow your arguments against it. Then again, what I like about Chomsky's arguments is precisely that it seems to demolish the moral idealist statism of so many Anti-Zionists (as opposed to Non-Zionists. I rather like this distinction introduced by Moshe Zuckermann).

If I follow you correctly, you think the implication of Chomsky's statement is that he thinks "legitimacy" is a concept to be embraced with regard to states?