[lbo-talk] great corrections of our time

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 24 21:19:40 PDT 2006

New York Times - October 24, 2006

<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/24/pageoneplus/corrections.html? _r=1&oref=slogin>

A report in the Off the Trail column yesterday about an antiwar commercial by the Working Families Party sent by e-mail to New York State voters misidentified a musician who wrote a letter supporting the party’s effort. He is the folk singer Pete Seeger — not the rock musician Bob Seger.

---

New York Times - October 23, 2006

<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/23/nyregion/23trail.html>

Sending a Message on a Ballot

Jonathan Tasini never got very far with his antiwar challenge to Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton in the Democratic primary last month. Now the Working Families Party is picking up that banner, though in a somewhat friendlier way.

The party sent an Internet antiwar commercial via e-mail last week to more than 100,000 New York voters, urging them to vote for Democratic candidates on the Working Families Party ballot line — as opposed to the Democratic Party line — as a way of sending a message that they opposed the war. The e-mail missive includes a letter from the rock musician Bob Seeger supporting the party’s effort, which it calls “Bring Them Home.”

Party leaders said they wanted to hold Mrs. Clinton accountable for voting in 2002 to authorize military action in Iraq, as well as other candidates whom they endorsed, like Mrs. Clinton, and who initially supported the war. Mrs. Clinton’s name will appear on both the Democratic Party line and the Working Families Party line on the Nov. 7 ballot.

“Our difference with Senator Clinton is a difference in degree — her phased redeployment doesn’t go far enough, fast enough,” said Dan Cantor, executive director of the Working Families Party. “If we could get 300,000 or 400,000 votes on our line, it would surprise her, and it would be a real signal to her and to Democratic congressmen who supported the war.”

The party has a special interest in winning more votes to its ballot line: If it can accumulate more votes than the Conservative Party, which now occupies the fourth slot on the ballot, it can move up from its fifth place on the ballot.

PATRICK HEALY