[lbo-talk] Russian Far-Right Plans Anti-Immigrant Marches

Michael Givel mgivel at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 25 09:14:41 PDT 2006

So suddenly one ugly manifestation of Russian society becomes a referendum on Putin as IF he was the state or a cult of personality or his government will sponsor this march. Perhaps Mr. Putin and his apologists in Russia and abroad have never thought of denouncing this march by neo-fascists? Seems like a simple solution to me.

Also, perhaps they might want to consider denouncing hate and neo-fascism rather than attacking the "criminals" which is the rhetoric often employed by nativist and right populist organizations everywhere--including America's home grown variety the Minutemen.

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 08:30:00 -0700 (PDT) From: Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Russian Far-Right Plans Anti-Immigrant Marches To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org

What, no accolades in the Washington Post for this manifestation of Russia's anti-Putin civil society? Words fail me! ;)

"Whiteness" has nothing to do with it, although Reuters tries to see things according to its Western taxonomy. Georgians and Azerbaijanis are Europeans.

(Technically speaking, most immigrants in Russia are de facto criminals, given that the great majority are illegal.)