[lbo-talk] Russian Far-Right Plans Anti-Immigrant Marches

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 11:56:42 PDT 2006

> On Oct 25, 2006, at 1:31 PM, Chris Doss wrote:
>
> > Uh, no. The "rest of us" are not imbeciles. _Just
> > you_. And only you. Actually you're probably not an
> > imbecile. Just an uneducated fool
>
> Such insults are streng verboten.

When Insults Had Class...

"A modest little person, with much to be modest about."

-- Winston Churchill

"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader

to the dictionary."

-- William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)

"Poor Faulkner.

Does he really think big emotions come from big words?"

-- Ernest Hemingway (about William Faulkner)

"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know."

-- Abraham Lincoln

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it."

-- Groucho Marx

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."

-- Mark Twain

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a

friend.... if you have one."

-- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second... if there is

one."

-- Winston Churchill, in response

"He is a self-made man and worships his creator."

-- John Bright

"I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial."

-- Irvin S. Cobb

"He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up."

-- Paul Keating

"He had delusions of adequacy."

-- Walter Kerr

"He has the attention span of a lightning bolt."

-- Robert Redford

"He inherited some good instincts from his Quaker forebears,

but by diligent hard work, he overcame them."

-- James Reston (about Richard Nixon)

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily."

-- Charles, Count Talleyrand

"He loves nature in spite of what it did to him."

-- Forrest Tucker

"Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on it?"

-- Mark Twain

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

-- Oscar Wilde

"He has Van Gogh's ear for music."

-- Billy Wilder

-- Michael Pugliese