[lbo-talk] Russian Far-Right Plans Anti-Immigrant

Michael Givel mgivel at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 25 16:13:28 PDT 2006

joanna 123hop at comcast.net Wed Oct 25 15:49:09 PDT 2006

Previous message: [lbo-talk] Russian Far-Right Plans Anti-Immigrant Marches Next message: [lbo-talk] The Importance of Burying "Dead Stalinists" (was Re:Let's Lock Up 14% of All Men Who Have Ever Married!) Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ] Search LBO-Talk Archives

Limit search to: Subject & Body Subject Author Sort by: DateRankAuthorSubject Reverse Sort

------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------

Michael Givel wrote:

>You don't take a hint very well do you? So, let me be more blunt. >
>Most of us here are not fooled by your continued rank pro-Putin
propaganda about the supposed utopia you paint about Russia. If that is your purpose here on this list--it is not working!!!!! Your continued stream of sludge like below is also quite easy to see through too. >

I don't remember Chris ever saying that Putin is perfect or that Russia is an utopia. I think he has been very honest about conditions there. At the same time, he has been very suspicious of the motives of those who criticize Putin and Russia's direction and he has attested to the fact that people in Russia are now doing much better than they were during the Yeltsin years.

What's so awful about that?

Good question. Yelstin years? Politicians are judged by what they do in the here and now--not based on what happened years ago (when the US was allegedly more in support of the regime.)

The following as I understand it is the recent opinions expressed by Doss on Russia:

A. Russia is a modern multicultural country with no significant neo-fascist, racist- or nationalist movements or problems

B. Russia's economy is equivalent to most US capitalist countries in terms of inequality, quality of health care, etc.

C. Putin is a champion of human rights, anti-racism, and anti-anti-immigrant causes

D. There is no reason to get all up tight about the assassination of AP as she worked for a yellow journalist rag for loopy intellectuals.

E. Illegal immigrant are criminals so why complain about them.

Now, you can call that honesty or something different. In terms of the Yelstin years, I have not a clue how these comparisons on economic inequality, human rights, and so on are being made except the factor of supposed US support--although the Yeltsin years as is now are based on corruption and various unchecked free market antics.

I don't and in my view it paints an exceedingly rosy and inaccurate picture of what now ails the former USSR--utopian or near perfection if you will as the argument sure sounds. .