[lbo-talk] Excerpts from President Vladimir Putin's question-and-answer broadcast

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 26 08:46:01 PDT 2006

Putin said it last night suring his question-and-answer-athon, Vremya Vovostei printed it, somebody translated it, David Johnson picked it up, and I post it here. ;)

Vremya Novostei October 26, 2006 THE PRESIDENT SAID... Excerpts from President Vladimir Putin's question-and-answer broadcast Author: Vladimir Putin

Oil and gas

Vladimir Putin: Regrettably, the Russian economy is dependent on oil and gas exports - too dependent for comfort. Economic diversification is the government's top objective. The government has already set about doing so. We have established the Investment Fund and Venture Fund. High-tech zones are operating, additional funding is being poured into education. All this indicates that the federal authorities are trying to solve the problem. And by the way, our dependance on high oil prices is lessening.

As for prices, they are high indeed. Petroleum products shows a 17% rise this year and that's way too much. By the way, this price-rise contributed to the general inflation rate. However, inflation this month has been somewhat lower than what it was in September. Why? Because world prices have fallen somewhat. Russia, with its open and free-market economy, is inevitably affected by what is happening in the rest of world.

The Commonwealth of Independent States

Vladimir Putin: It's hard for me to say what was happening when the Soviet Union was disintegrating. I can only say that to a considerable extent disintegration of the latter occurred because of Russia's position. It follows that all speculations on how Russia allegedly harbors imperial aspirations, that it allegedly wants to restore the USSR are absolutely groundless.

I cannot say what they were thinking about in Russia when all these processes were under way. Perhaps someone even thought it a transition period en route to revival of some state on the basis of the former Soviet Union. Let's admit it: all post-Soviet countries view the CIS itself as a civilized divorce mechanism. Moreover, these countries have done everything in their power to strengthen and augment their statehood. Well, Russia offered them this opportunity. It did so knowing what it was doing. It was our considered choice. We cannot help remembering that Russia and the peoples of these now sovereign states have lived side by side in one and the same country for centuries on end. It cannot help having a profound effect on economic relations, industrial cooperation, interdependence of transport communications, and so on. No matter whatever else may be said on the subject, this is a unique precedent in global affairs, international relations, and international economic contacts. I'm therefore convinced that we should make use of these absolutely plain advantages over our partners and rivals in the world markets. We need coordination and integration, primarily in economic affairs. We are working on it. Integration processes are under way. I mean the common economic zone, the Euro-Asian Economic Community, the CIS Collective Security Treaty... All this should be kept in the focus of attention. Let me finish by emphasizing that advancement of cooperation with countries of the CIS is the absolute priority of Russia's foreign policy.

Russia-Belarus Union

Vladimir Putin: We want the process of its establishment accelerated, but first things first. Economic integration is what we should concentrate on first of all. From this standpoint, I consider transition to a common monetary unit to be of paramount importance.

Discussion of political issues, and specifically of the Constitutional Act, goes on but it is economic integration that is the first priority.

It take an economic basis to form, say, a common parliament and so on. We all remember the situation in Russia in the late 1980s and early 1990s when it was the parliament of the Soviet Union versus the Russian parliament. Both structures wielded more or less similar powers, and all it resulted in was a tug-of-war. That's what we cannot afford again. Moreover, doing anything about it will be difficult just now because of the forthcoming election of the Duma. All in all, life will show how ready our Belarusian colleagues are for economic integration.

Georgia, Abkhazia, South Ossetia

Vladimir Putin: The militarization of Georgia is causing concern for people in Abkhazia and South Ossetia. Even Russia is concerned. That's what caused deterioration of the Russian-Georgian in the first place. That and the preparations to solve the problem of Abkhazia and South Ossetia by sheer strength of arms. It would be a huge mistake on the part of the Georgian leadership. I don't really think that it will benefit the Georgian people. This turn of events must be prevented. A compromise should be sought.

As for absorption of any territories by the Russian Federation, I'd like to point out that expansion is not what we are after. Even as a remnant of the Soviet Union, Russia is still the world's largest country in terms of territory. We have enough land, but we won't tolerate any bloodshed in the region. In fact, whatever actions we've been talking with regard to Georgia have nothing to do with its plans to become a NATO member and so on. Every sovereign state makes its own decision with regard to how to maintain its security. Every step Russia has taken only aims to prevent bloodshed.

We know the history of these relations between the peoples of Abkhazia and South Ossetia. We remember Georgian punitive expeditions against the Ossetians back in the 1920s. That's our history, that's what should be remembered and taken into consideration.

The international community insists on territorial integrity and Russia honors this principle as applied to Georgia and other countries. On the other hand, there is also self-determination of nations and that's a inalienable right as well. Something of a discrepancy, isn't it? That is why we should keep looking for a way out of this situation. However, we will certainly keep an eye on precedents elsewhere, Kosovo included.

Georgians

Vladimir Putin: Russia and the Georgian people have always been close. Georgia itself once volunteered to join the Russian Empire. When it was a part of the Russian Empire, Georgia did not include these territories - Abkhazia and South Ossetia... It doesn't matter. What matters is that the Georgian people has always had our respect. The Georgians have contributed greatly to strengthening Russian statehood in whatever sphere you care to mention - the military sphere, the arts, the sciences. No wonder we have so many statues of Georgians all over Russia. It's our common legacy. Official Tbilisi's determination to settle its territorial problems by force upsets us greatly. That's what we hope to thwart. And we are doing what we can in the dialogue with the Georgian colleagues and at the OSCE - that is, at the international level. Russia is taking an active part in peacekeeping missions. Russia is doing all it can to prevent the conflicts from deteriorating into a shooting war. A great many Russian servicemen have died performing this duty.

Besides, we all know that the UN Security Council passed a certain resolution recently. I certainly hope that the Georgian authorities are not like the authorities of some other countries that ignore the international community. I sincerely hope that they will heed the international community and do whatever it takes to find diplomatic solutions to the problems they are facing.

Anti-Georgian campaign in Russia

Vladimir Putin: Fighting the underworld - and doing so constantly - is what law enforcement agencies are for. There have always been ethnic gangs, in the Soviet Union and in Russia alike, and they must be fought and there must be nothing ethnic about this struggle.

I don't approve of ethnic considerations in the matter. On the contrary, I urge law enforcement agencies and administrative structures to abstain from any such actions. They are not to be tolerated whenever they affect people who live here legally, much less who are citizens off the Russian Federation.

As for the underworld, it should be fought everywhere and always. However, in this particular case it is in the focus of everyone's attention because everything associated with Georgia is, at this point. A few words on the deportation of illegal aliens from Russia, the people who have broken immigration laws. I'm not going to name any particular country, but 15,300 citizens of a certain republic have been deported from Russia, 13,400 citizens of another republic, and 5,000 Georgians. See the difference? It is therefore wrong to keep claiming that we are being selective and so on.

Neo-fascism

Vladimir Putin: It pains me to speak of it. We see what is happening in other countries - glorification of Nazi SS troops, rehabilitation of Nazism - and we're even encountering a similar phenomenon in Russia. Courts and law enforcement agencies should respond appropriately and promptly.

Murders of Kozlov, Politkovskaya, Fotianov

Vladimir Putin: It doesn't surprise me that you are recalling these scandalous murders because they have stirred society indeed... Let me point out, however, that the number of contract killings inRussia has been going down. That's objective, an assumption based on statistics. Crimes like that are always in the focus of attention of the general public, drawn by the media, but it's all right. We cannot dismiss such crimes. That goes for both political and business-related murders. They are committed because in economic matters, for example, the state is actively fighting violations and dealing with whoever is only obsessed with lining their own pockets.

As for politics, the political struggle in Russia hasn't become any more civilized. In any case, it is the duty of every country to investigate such crimes... You probably heard that Kozlov's murderers are already in custody. I hope that investigation of other crimes will be as diligent.

What will happen after 2008

Vladimir Putin: I think everything will be all right. I'm convinced that it will. I believe that Russia is entering a new phase of development now: the phase of stable economic growth and solutions to social problems. The principal solution comes down to the need to do away with the disparity between rich and poor. It is this income gulf that we need to bridge. We cannot hope to achieve that without developing a political system based on democratic principles. This is also one of the most important tasks of the future.

As for me, I can only say that I like my job. but the Constitution doesn't permit me to run for president again. In any case, I hope that even when my term in office is over, I will retain what I really value - your trust.

Translated by A. Ignatkin

Lyubo, bratsy, lyubo, lyubo, bratsy, zhit!

ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ËÞÁÎ, ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ÆÈÒÜ!