[lbo-talk] Misogyny and fascism

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Thu Oct 26 10:27:05 PDT 2006

Wojtek Sokolowski

[WS:] I fully agree. The myths of idyllic bucolic societies of the past are just that - myths.

^^^^^^^ CB: However, I wasn't referring to any bucolic societies. Bucolic means pastoral/agricultural. These societies were before agriculture and pastoralists with domesticated animals. You got the wrong myth.

The claim is not that it was idyllic, but that there was matrilineality, egalitarianism, and no state power, and no private property in the basic means of production.

Also, it's not based on myths but based on anthropological and archaelogical scientific evidence. The evidence is not "complete", but it's not just based on stories.

Some of it was based on direct observation by the first Europeans with contact, "ethnohistories.", which are stories, but the Europeans had motive to tell the truth. They thought matrilineality, no state power or private property was "savage" and "primitive". They didn't think it was "idyllic" or "noble".