[lbo-talk] Obesity driving up gas usage

Greg Boozell gboozell at juno.com
Fri Oct 27 07:23:19 PDT 2006

Obesity Driving Up Gas Usage

By Greg Kline- Wednesday, October 25, 2006

If you need another reason for making that New Year's resolution to lose some weight - again - here it is: dropping the pounds might save you money at the gas pump.

Turns out, those people who say Americans are "gas hogs" may not be far from the truth, some numbers crunching by University of Illinois researchers indicates.

The pounds we've packed on as a nation since 1960 have us, as a country, burning about a billion more gallons of gas annually than we would were we svelter folks.

"We were kind of flabbergasted, quite frankly, by the magnitude of these numbers," UI computer science Professor Sheldon Jacobson said Tuesday.

full story http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2006/10/25/obesity_driving_up_gas_usage

Greg Boozell