[lbo-talk] Ancient societies

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Oct 27 10:03:50 PDT 2006

We don't need to look at past tribal clans through ideological filters and pretend there's a more egalitarian past from which we've strayed. Christians like to look at the past through ideological filters when proving Creationism. Let's not do that, too. If old societies sucked and were undesirable, let's just say it. Most, if not all of them, were, with maybe a few semi-decent ones here and there across millenia, but none I'd rather be in now, thank you. And even those were permeated with a high degree of supersttitious belief, which I'm no fan of, either. The good society has yet to exist, there is no good model in the past, only hints here and there, more often in places like Spain 1936 than 12,000 BC.

-B.

^^^^^ CB: Are you saying that the general scheme I use is more ideological than the way you describe the past ? Are you saying I'm using ideological filters and you are using pure scientific analysis ?