[lbo-talk] Misogyny and fascism

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Oct 27 12:06:21 PDT 2006

B. wrote:

>The good society has yet to exist, there is no good
>model in the past, only hints here and there, more
>often in places like Spain 1936 than 12,000 BC.

I don't really understand the desire for some Platonic form of "the good society". People in different societies learn different values, and then they apply these values to define what "the good society" is. It doesn't surprise me that someone who grew up in a society like ours would like "hints" of other societies that remind us of the values we've learned in our own society. Although we may want to pretend there are some "universal values" that reasonable people everywhere share, that's not the actual social world we live in. From a sociological perspective, I think it's important to recognize that many people in many societies around the world consider their society to be an exemplar of "the good society". --And by their own values, sure, they're right. (Again, it's important to distinguish is and ought here: noting that people perceive their own society as good is not, not, not a moral argument about how we should all go live there.)

Miles