[lbo-talk] Tariq Ali at UCLA today

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 22:34:41 PDT 2006

> On Oct 27, 2006, at 8:56 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > I actually think Iran needs a
> > major overhaul of its ruling structures
>
> Then why all the megabytes of apologetics for the regime, and attacks
> on "Western leftists" for saying this? It's not like any of us want
> the US to invade, or the UN to impose sanctions.

First, Western leftists have to understand Iran, its history, current social structure, balance of social forces, etc., the same for any other country, including our own.

Second, it's not Western leftists who will change Iran. Iran has already changed a great deal since the founding of the Islamic Republic, gradually from inside. It might continue to change in that fashion. Or there might come a time when it will change more rapidly and drastically. Either way, Western leftists have no role to play in that change (it would be a different thing if we were at the helm of the governments of our own in the West). -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>