[lbo-talk] Countering the Politics of Fear (was Tariq Ali at UCLA today)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Oct 28 19:56:31 PDT 2006

On Oct 28, 2006, at 9:20 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> But you fit into the category well and express its tendency toward the
> politics of fear, depending on topics. Just last month, you were
> suggesting that liberals were about to be cleansed from higher
> education in Iran, with a Cultural Revolution-scale upheaval soon to
> sweep the Iranian education system: Doug Henwood, "Cleansing Iran,"
> <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-
> Mon-20060904/017079.html>.

I didn't suggest it - I forwarded an AFP story quoting your man Ahmadinejad as saying that it was time to rid Iran's universities of secular and liberal influences. Did AFP invent this?

How is this the politics of fear? I'm not an Iranian professor or intellectual - I've got nothing to fear from this move. It's liberal and secular Iranians who have something to fear, but you don't seem to care very much about them.

Doug