[lbo-talk] GOP Congressman deletes "Minutemen" from website

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 28 21:46:45 PDT 2006

(Another example of the split within the GOP over the immigration issue. The Utah Minutemen take offense at the support of Congressman Chris Cannon for Bush's immigration policy. SR)

Cannon site deletes Minutemen

By Deborah Bulkeley Deseret Morning News

U.S. Rep. Chris Cannon, R-Utah, has removed a reference to the "Utah Minutemen" from his re-election campaign Web site after the head of the anti-illegal immigration group complained it was an implied endorsement.

Alex Segura and other members of the Utah Minuteman Project have long criticized Cannon's support of President Bush's proposed guest worker program.

Yet, Cannon's campaign site had listed "Utah Minutemen" as participants in an immigration advisory committee, which met earlier this year, and proposed comprehensive immigration reform.

"The result of that committee is a thoughtful 31-page report that I hope will be used as the debate proceeds back in Washington," the campaign site reads.

The reference was removed from the site Thursday afternoon after Cannon's office was informed by a reporter of the complaint.

Cannon's spokesman Charles Isom said Segura had been part of the committee, even if he didn't agree with the final report.

"Congressman Cannon and the immigration advisory committee welcome the Minutemen into any discussion," Isom said.

Segura acknowledged he did participate in some meetings but said he was surprised to find the Utah Minuteman reference on Cannon's site. Segura said he disagreed so strongly with the committee's findings that he asked his name not be included in the report.

"We don't want to have the appearance that we have supported (Cannon) in any way, shape or form," Segura said.

Segura said he asked the Minutemen's attorney to contact Cannon's campaign and ask that the reference be removed. However, Isom said no representative from the Minutemen had contacted Cannon's office.

The advisory committee's report includes measures the Minutemen oppose, including a call for a guest worker program, which would allow undocumented workers to gain legal status.

It also opposes using the National Guard to help secure the border, and that's a measure the Minutemen support.

"It was so heavily stacked against us, I didn't get a whole lot of my opinion in," Segura said. "No (Minutemen) members signed off on the final report."

Cannon, who represents the 3rd District, was pulled into a primary challenge for the second time this year because of his call for comprehensive immigration reform. Cannon faces a challenge from Democrat Christian Burridge in the Nov. 7 election.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,650202366,00.html