[lbo-talk] Countering the Politics of Fear (was Tariq Ali at UCLA today)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Oct 29 07:12:40 PST 2006

On Oct 28, 2006, at 11:32 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>> Are these Western leftists?
>
> Yes. They live in the West and are unlikely to go back to Iran and
> live there permanently.

Because they can't think, write, or live freely. They'd be at risk of being arrested or killed. Doesn't it give you pause that the kinds of Iranians - people who no doubt have family and friends in Iran - who identify with MR find your position offensive?

> She's lived in the West for a long time as well, longer than I have
> been, for all I know. Nothing in the article below is over the top,
> though, nor anything else by her I have read. If her work seems very
> persuasive to you, perhaps you might tone down your rhetoric to her
> level.

Thank you very much for the rhetorical advice, which I'm going to ignore.

Doug