[lbo-talk] Countering the Politics of Fear (was Tariq Ali at UCLA today)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 20:23:43 PST 2006

On 10/29/06, joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
> Jeus Doug! You're so thick!
>
> Don't you get it? You criticize Mr. A for his repressive policies
> against women and for his stated intention to purge the universities of
> secular-minded profs, but those who have examined matters under a
> scholarly microscope know that your cirticism is nothing other than
> unwitting support for neoliberal reform, which will result in greater
> misery for all. So like, fuck the women; they're just upper class blue
> stockings who want to show off their new hairdos.

Well, women and youth in Iran had already gave Khatami eight years* -- who can blame them if they got tired of the reformist movement and wanted to try a different faction?

The thing is that, if Ahmadinejad were the kind of guy who would immediately appeal to Western leftists, including Iranian-born ones, most Iranian voters wouldnt' have voted for him in 2005. The gap between Western leftists and poorer Iranian voters is now that wide, imho.

* <blockquote>What started last month as a small disturbance over university privatization soon became one of the largest public demonstrations against both the Islamic regime and, surprisingly, the reform-minded president Mohammad Khatami. Students turned their outrage over increased tuition fees into a demonstration against the Iranian regime's restrictions on political and social freedoms; they also expressed their dissatisfaction with Iran's sliding economy, where youth unemployment has reached nearly 50 percent; and with the sluggish pace at which government reformers have pushed for social change. (Juliette Niehuss, "Why Washington Needs Iranian Students," 23 July 2003, <http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/EG23Ak05.html>)</blockquote>

> On Oct 29, 2006, at 10:15 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > Cultural Revolution-scale upheaval is about to happen in Iran based on
> > just one speech.
>
> If George Bush gave a speech saying "get the liberals out of the
> universities!," a lot of people would be rightly scared.

Well, except Ahmadinejad didn't say that, nor does "liberalism" in Iran or anywhere else for that matter mean the same thing as what Americans tend to mean here. But, like Juan Cole's vain effort to clarify what he said with regard to Israel, I suppose this point won't be considered. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>