[lbo-talk] No fast shift on Iraq if Dems win says Dean

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 02:42:52 PST 2006

On 10/30/06, Mike Ballard <swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> "Steven L. Robinson" <srobin21 at comcast.net> said and posted:
>
> If the Dems win control of US Iraq policy, expect the US to remain
> mired in Iraq for a long, long time - As Howard Dean says"We don't believe
> now
> we should suddenly pull everybody out...," SR)
>
> No fast U.S. shift on Iraq if Democrats win: Dean
>
> By Philip Barbara
> Reuters
> Sun Oct 29, 2:33 PM ET
>
> WASHINGTON - Even if Democrats win control of Congress in elections
> next week, an immediate change of course in Iraq policy is unlikely, the
> party's chairman said on Sunday....
> full:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061029/pl_nm/iraq_usa_congress_dc

> Indeed. The bi-partisan policy on keeping control of the second largest oil
> patch in the world will emerge when the Democrats take control of the
> Congress and Senate.

By JOHN WALSH

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

In contrast to voters' sentiment, 64% of the Democratic candidates in the 45 closely contested House Congressional races oppose a timetable for withdrawal from Iraq. Note carefully: not only do these Democrat worthies oppose the Murtha or McGovern bills for rapid withdrawal or defunding the war; they oppose so much as a timetable.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

To win the House, the Dems must win 15 seats from the Republicans. Here are the 22 candidates hand picked by Emanuel to run in open districts or districts with Republican incumbents, according to The Hill (4/27/06): Darcy Burner (WA), Phyllis Busansky (FL), Francine Busby (CA), Joe Courtney (CT), John Cranley (OH), Jill Derby (NV), Tammy Duckworth (IL), Brad Ellsworth (IN), Diane Farrell (CT), Steve Filson (CA) ­ defeated in primary by Jerry McNirney (see above), Kirsten Gillibrand (NY), Tessa Hafen (NV), Baron Hill (IN), Mary Jo Kilroy (OH), Ron Klein (FL), Ken Lucas (KY), Patsy Madrid (NM), Harry Mitchell (AZ), Chris Murphy (CT), Lois Murphy (PA), Heath Shuler (NC), Peter Welch (VT).

If we group these 22 candidates by their positions, it is much worse than one might have imagined. Here it is:

U.S, must "win" in Iraq (9): John Cranely(OH); Jill Derby (NV); Tammy Duckworth (IL); Brad Ellsworth (IN): Teresa Hafen (NV); Baron Hill (IN);Ken Lucas (KY); Lois Murphy (PA); Heath Schuler (NC).

More troops should be deployed in Iraq. (1): Diane Farrell (CT);

Bush (or Congress or Bush and Congress or someone other than the candidate) must develop a plan or timetable for exit. This means that the candidate does not offer a timetable or other withdrawal plan and amounts only to a partisan criticism of Bush without a plan offered by the candidate. (6): Francine Busby (CA); Joe Courtney (CT); Kirsten Gillibrand (NY); Mary Jo Kilroy (OH); Patricia Madrid (NM); Harry Mitchell (AZ).

Biden's 3-state solution. (1): Phyllis Busansky (FL).

No position. (1): Chris Murphy (CT).

Not for immediate withdrawal (3): Steve Filson (CA) (He lost Dem primary. See above.); Ron Klein (FL); Harry Mitchell (AZ);

Withdrawal in 2006. (1): Peter Welch (VT). . . .

So only one of Rahm's candidates is for prompt withdrawal from Iraq. . . . </blockquote>

Putting Welch and the group in favor of a timetable together, it's still less than a third of the candidates in 22 key races whose position is clearly different from Bush's. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>