Moralism and Individual Choices Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Dispiriting Suburbs?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 30 09:36:56 PST 2006

"But I think there is a political and ecologic aspect to where we choose to live that trumps the ideal of individual choice."

No! There is no political or ecological or moral aspect to where we choose to live! I have engaged in this argument over and over again since the late 1960s. There is no political constraint on idividual consumption choices UNLESS there is an organized mass struggle (as exhibited in pickets, full-page ads, leaflettings, demonstrations, etc) around the the choice at issue. Attempts to make individual consumption choices a matter subject to moral or political judgment absent such mass decisions are victious and devisive.

Carrol