[lbo-talk] The Iran thing

ravi ravi.bulk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 10:05:50 PST 2006

So, this Moghadam... is she or he an Iranian? What do Iranian grassroots leftists have to say on the matters under discussion here? I admit I have only been scanning this debate and all this has probably cropped up ... in which case continue ignoring me as you bastards do anyway.

I can see well-meaning Western leftists analysing politics and even prescribing solutions based purely on their belief systems, without careful attention to the particular politics and the path to progress in a given region. Sujeet posted similar thoughts on the newly enacted child labour laws in India (in that case I think he was talking about well-meaning Indian liberals, but I can easily see some Western liberals pushing the same sort of thing). I get the feeling that this is the sort of thing that Yoshie is arguing against, and I think if she is throwing the blame around a bit liberally (no pun intended), she may be excused that?

Some rather randomly organised thoughts...

--ravi