[lbo-talk] Become a vegetarian or rot in hell!!! ;-)

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Oct 30 23:21:53 PST 2006

ravi wrote:

> Does anyone claim that vegetarianism will save the world? It is possible
> some organisation exists that claim that, but most vegetarians
> (including me) are so not because we want to save the world (not sure
> what that means... ref: George Carlin) but for fairly straightforward
> ethical reasons.

That's just the title. The article itself deals with the shallow politics of Whole Foods consumerism and the absence of a more confrontational and critical movement against capitalism.

But you ask an interesting question. How many people think that vegetarianism or green consumerism are the best methods to "save the planet." I suspect that the number of people who think this way would be surprising. We are talking about the same set of people who mostly overlap with liberals who think that liberalism is a preferable strategy to help the poor. Poverty pimps. Utne Reader liberals.

Chuck