[lbo-talk] Re: Confined Space

Hank henry at inkworkswell.com
Mon Oct 30 23:16:45 PST 2006

Thanks Joanna --

They're just graphic prototypes and fonts are notoriously . . . not the same in a JPG as they are on the web. I hate the way fonts look in JPGs! The upper/lower case font is just the way that particular font is -- and yeah, it's kind of nifty.

If you think that one is pomo, you should see what happened with it when I first scrolled through the morgue file to find this scroll/ink blog thing. While I was supposed to be doing the prototypes for Confined Space, I couldn't help it and messed around with fonts. I wanted to reproduce the mike of scroll work and ink blots in the fonts, so I made this -- which is quite FUG.

http://blog.pulpculture.org/images/csszen.jpg (god, that's so bad!)

BUT! all was not lost. I repurposed it and I'm going to enter this at CSS Zen Garden <http://www.csszengarden.com>

http://blog.pulpculture.org/images/zengardlg.jpg

Zen Garden is the coolest. All the designs use the exact same structural code, it's just that the style sheet (like the style sheet in Word, Indesign, Framemaker, etc.) can be adapted to create all the different looks.

We did a bunch of sites repurposing the code at www.newyorkcomputerforensics.com, www.chicagocomputerforensics.com, and www.boston-computer-forensics.com. Those are all the same but the marketing guy is thinking about having us design the remaining, uh, 93 sites slightly differently. Which will be fairly simple (I hope) using changes to the CSS (style sheet). Last I talked with him, he had in mind a Reese's peanut butter cup theme in mind. (LOL! -- I think he was kidding.)

Anyway, I figured the scroll/ink blot on was just artsy fartsy enough it might make it into their featured designs at CSS Zen Garden.

Gotta work on the letter spacing for the headings, though, because they aren't legible and I'd have to use graphic type for that. (Gotta work on that scroll, too. I fuzzed it up a bit but don't like it with the radial blur on it.)

When you need to communicate, Ink Works! http://www.inkworkswell.com +1 (727) 942-9255 +1 (484) 906-9255