[lbo-talk] Circulation Plunges at Major US Newspapers

chuck at mutualaid.org chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Oct 31 21:41:14 PST 2006

> What I would love is a left publications that really was a complete
> alternative to a major newspaper.
>
> Yes, it would have political articles....but it would also be full of
> life stuff: parenting; tenant rights, recipies, health advice, sports,
> movie reviews, etc.
>
> That would be fun.
>
> Joanna

I'm with you on this. The problem is that way too many leftists look down on anything relating to lifestyle, sports, entertainment, etc. This is uncomfortable to these cultural puritans, but many of us have interests beyond some narrow range of leftist entertainers. Create a radical leftist newspaper with coverage of tonight's Heat-Bulls game, some recipes, some DIY home tips and coverage of some new music--I'll subscribe. Create a newspaper with only hard news and leftist polemic. I'm not interested.

Frankly, I think that a leftist newspaper will only work if it has the same kind of content as regular newspapers.

If you look at the radical press from a century ago, it had wide-ranging coverage of both political issues and lifestyle interests.

Chuck